A cracked or scratched cell phone screen is common and sometimes you may not want to repair it right away. Instead, you may want to temporarily hide or minimize any cracks or deep scratches on your phone. This can be an option to consider if you’re considering repairing vs replacing your phone.
There are many methods that claim to hide cell phone cracks or scratches online, but most of them are either myths or false claims. Only one method has been found to effectively minimize small cracks or deep scratches on a cell phone screen, and that is by using screen protectors. Of all the options available, including toothpaste, liquid glass, super glue, tape, and even rice, UV tempered glass screen protectors are the best solution for concealing cracks or scratches on both iPhone and Samsung devices.
Can a Screen Protector Hide Cracks?
Cell phone screen protectors are a great way to protect your screen but they are also good at hiding small cracks or deep scratches.
The Benefits of Screen Protectors for Cracked Cellphones
- Minimize the appearance of cracks and scratches
- Protect the screen from further damage
- Maintain the functionality of the phone
- Cost-effective solution compared to repairing the phone
Survey Results: Do Screen Protectors Hide Cracks and Scratches on Phones?
|Repair Shop||Percentage of Respondents|
We surveyed 10 cell phone repair shops to see what they think about using screen protectors to hide cracks and scratches. According to the phone repair shops we surveyed, 90% said screen protectors can minimize or hide the appearance of small cracks or deep scratches. One repair shop states that matte screen protectors in particular did a better job at hiding scratches and cracks.
Choosing the Right Screen Protector
When choosing a screen protector to hide cracks and scratches, consider the following:
- Material: Tempered glass, TPU, or plastic
- Thickness: The thicker the screen protector, the better it will protect the screen
- Finish: Matte finish screen protectors are better at hiding cracks and scratches
- Adhesion: A screen protector with good adhesion will stay in place and provide better protection
UV Screen Protectors
UV screen protectors are another option to hide the cracks or scratches on your cell phone. These UV tempered glass screen protectors are similar to standard glass screen protectors except they do not have the adhesive that sticks to the glass. Instead, a special liquid adhesive called LOCA is used to adhere the screen protector to the screen. Followed by a UV light to cure the LOCA gel. This creates a strong bond between the screen protector and the cell phone screen.
The LOCA gel does a great job filling in any cracks or deep scratches. When applied correctly deep scratches and small cracks are much less noticeable. This is our preferred method to hide any scratches or cracks on any smartphone.
Below is a video showing how a UV screen protector works.
Privacy Screen Protecors
Another type of screen protector that can help hide cracks or scratches is a privacy screen protector. Privacy screen protectors allow less light through certain angles and can result in fewer scratches or cracks seen.
Alternative Solutions for Hiding Cracks and Scratches on Your Phone
While using a screen protector is a highly recommended solution for hiding cracks and scratches on a cellphone, there are a few alternative methods that are circulating online claiming to fix cracks and scratches.
- Will liquid glass fix a cracked screen? Unfortunately, liquid glass products will not fix a cracked or scratched screen. Liquid glass doesn’t fill or remove any cracks or scratches. However, it does add a layer of protection from drops or impacts. This is a great way to prevent any scratches or cracks.
- Does toothpaste fill in cracks or scratches on screens? Toothpaste cannot repair a cracked phone screen. It is just another myth circulating online. While toothpaste may help hide or reduce the appearance of small scratches, it will not fix cracks.
- Can rice fix a cracked phone screen? Rice cannot fix a cracked phone screen. Despite its popularity as a solution, it is a myth. The idea originated from the belief that rice could repair water damage but has since evolved to include fixing any type of cell phone damage. Don’t waste your time trying to repair a cracked screen by putting it in rice.
- Can I put clear tape over a cracked phone screen? Putting clear tape over a cracked phone screen won’t hide any cracks or scratches however it can keep your cracked screen intact and prevent any cuts to your fingers. If your screen is heavily cracked it might be a good idea to apply some clear tape to keep the screen from chipping away.
- Will Super Glue hide a cracked phone screen? Applying Super Glue to a cracked screen is not recommended as it can cause further damage to the screen and interfere with the phone’s functionality.
- Can a case hide cracks or scratches? Using a phone case can usually help hide cracks and scratches on the sides and back of the phone, but it will not hide cracks on the screen. However, some cases such as Otterbox and Lifeproof may be able to hide minor scratches and chips.
Ultimately the real solution to hiding cracks or large scratches on your cell phone screen is to get it repaired. There is no way to completely eliminate cracks without replacing the entire screen. However, if you opt to not repair, applying a UV tempered glass screen protector will be the best option for minimizing or hiding cracks or deep scratches.