Unlock Your Phone in a Snap: The Guide to Repair Shop Unlocks

Are you wondering if a cell phone repair shop can unlock your phone? Likewise, many other people are looking for ways to unlock their devices to use them with different carriers or for international travel. While many people turn to their carrier for help with unlocking their phone, others may consider visiting a local cell phone repair shop.

In this article, we will explore the possibility of unlocking your phone at a cell phone repair shop, the benefits and drawbacks of this option, and what to expect during the process.

What is Phone Unlocking?

Cell phone unlocking is the process of removing the network lock on a phone. It allows your phone to work on any network carrier. This is useful for those who want to switch to a different network provider or use their phone while traveling internationally. This is sometimes confused with iCloud or passcode unlocking.

Survey: Can Cell Phone Repair Shops Unlock Phones?

We conducted a survey to see if cell phone repair shops across the United States can unlock phones. A total of 26 repair shops were surveyed, and surprisingly the results showed that 54% of the shops offered unlocking services. This shows that a majority of the surveyed repair shops have the capability to unlock cell phones for their customers. On the other hand, 46% of the shops did not offer unlocking services. This indicates there may be a lack of availability or expertise in this area at some repair shops.

Can Phone Repair Shops Unlock Phones?Results
26 cell phone repair shops surveyed

Overall, the survey provides valuable insight into the services offered by cell phone repair shops and can help customers make informed decisions when seeking to unlock their cell phones. The easiest way to determine if your local phone repair shop can unlock your phone is to ask directly over the phone or in person.

How Do Phone Repair Shops Unlock Phones?

There are several methods that phone repair shops use to unlock phones. Some of the most common include:

  1. IMEI unlocking: This method involves using the phone’s unique IMEI number to request an unlock code from the phone’s carrier. In some cases, an unlock code is not required.
  2. Phone Flashing: This method involves updating the software of the phone with a new software version that allows the phone to work with any network carrier.
  3. Turbo SIM: Lastly, a turbo sim is a type of SIM card adapter that allows a phone to be used with different carriers. It is essentially a small device that sits between the SIM card and the SIM card tray of a phone bypassing the network lock.

Remember to keep your data safe when visiting your local cell phone repair shop by protecting your device with a passcode or factory resetting it.

How Long Does it Take to Unlock a Phone at a Repair Shop?

  1. IMEI Unlocking: This method usually takes 24-72 hours but can take up to several weeks in rare cases. Be sure to ask the phone repair shop for an estimated turnaround time before agreeing to unlock your device.
  2. Phone Flashing: This method is usually completed the same day and shouldn’t take longer than several hours.
  3. Turbo Sim: Lastly, this method is the quickest of the 3 and usually takes a few minutes. In some cases the unlock is instant.

How Much Does it Cost to Unlock a Phone?

Furthermore, the cost to unlock your phone at a repair shop can vary, with prices ranging from as low as $20 to a couple of hundred dollars. The cost depends on the method used for unlocking and the repair shop’s pricing.

Alternatives to Repair Shop Unlocking

On the other hand, if you don’t want a repair shop to unlock your device, several other options are available. One option is to contact your current network provider and request the device be unlocked. Carriers can only unlock your phone if you meet their requirements. For example, this includes having an account in good standing and having the phone paid off. This method is usually free of charge.

AT&T Unlocking

T-Mobile Unlocking

Verizon Unlocking

Alternatively, consider purchasing a factory-unlocked phone which works on any network provider, including international networks. On that note, webuycellphones.com can buy your old carrier-locked phone if you choose to sell it.

Useful Links



We Buy Cell Phones
1120 Pacific Ave Suite 209, Tacoma, WA 98402


By Appointment

Need help? Email us at vadim@webuycellphones.com